Monday 10 September 2018

Tech Starting Point

The laptop and Oculus Rift have arrived!



Setting everything up was a breeze and the laptop easily proved itself up to the tasks ahead and works seamlessly with the Oculus Rift. I then spent a couple of hours acquainting myself with the VR world using Oculus's First Contact app, Google Earth VR (fantastic), Marvel Powers United game (it came with the Rift... honest!) and Mission:ISS. Everything performed perfectly - no lag and no flicker.



After making myself thoroughly sick exploring the International Space Station (I now know I could never be an astronaut) I decided to move on to downloading and learning Unreal Engine, the free software in which the VR spaces/galleries will be built. I like to be hands-on and while I plan to ask for help and support from people with more expertise, I want to build, make mistakes and explore different shape and sized galleries at my own speed. I also want enough expertise to combat any problems I may face when out in the field.

It is fairly easy to build spaces in Unreal Engine, although getting them to function well is where the real skill in this software lays. I am using Unreal's templates as a starting point, but the biggest issue I am having at the moment is lighting. But these are my initial efforts (please excuse the gun! I don't plan on using it in any of the finished spaces)...

 

 

I should have some artworks installed soon...TBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment