Monday 14 January 2019

An Island Gallery



Following a conversation with a final year photography student, Helen Kay about light and airy gallery spaces in which to exhibit her photographs and a passing comment about floating a gallery on water, I decided to build an outward facing island based space that is lit mostly by 'natural' daylight. I started with a single building...





...and I was happy with the initial result. However, I felt it needed expanding, to include an opposite space, so I created another island gallery...





I used the same artworks, so I could make a direct comparison between the effect both spaces has on the viewer and artwork.



The most interesting thing is, by reversing the gallery so it is outward facing, means that each piece of work has its own space! and because the viewer is looking in, means that the outside does not interrupt the interaction. The nice thing about this setup, is that one can look at the work in isolation, but not feel confined. I am not sure that one would have come to the same conclusion without being able to view it in VR (although I did think that would be the conclusion beforehand, but it is nice to have it confirmed in VR).

I am also starting to experiment with colour and in this case, I wanted to recreate the water and some of the airy tones in the artworks.

The artworks are by Helen Kay and you can view more of her work on her website: https://www.hellykayphotography.co.uk/ and Instagram: @helenkayphotography is a participant in my research and I will be reviewing a gallery that she designed and built for her work, which in part, influenced this build.

If you are reading this blog and feel you can add something to my research then please comment… even if you are correcting me or don’t agree with something that I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment