Monday 7 January 2019

Photogrammetry - first try

I wanted to give photogrammetry a go, with a view to including 3D artworks in my VR galleries. So, here is my first attempt (it is actually my third, but the results of the previous two were too bad to show here!).

I did not want to shell out a load of cash just to tryout the idea so I was restricted to free software. For this I used a combination of Meshroom and Blender.



This is the artwork I used for this test and the first thing I had to do was to photograph it from a number of angles. I did this outside, in my driveway, under an overcast day.

I exported the images into Meshroom and let it do its thing, which it does automatically (thankfully!). I imported the finished obj file into blender to tidy up and export as a file with which I could use in UE4. I dropped it into a gallery I have already developed...







The results... Considering I have never used Blender before, it's OK. From a distance, the photogrammetry model looks convincing, but close up it looks a bit (a lot!) wobbly. However, this is a new exercise for me and I know I can achieve better results. I would like to try it with a fashion mannequin as I think fabric textures, shapes and colours will suit the process better than a straight edged, shiny textured frame. Being able to view the model in VR has given me insights into its possibilities.

If you are reading this blog and feel you can add something to my research then please comment… even if you are correcting me or don’t agree with something that I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment