Friday 15 February 2019

First Presentation

I was asked to give a short presentation about my project as part of a photography evening that also included talks by two photographic artists.




Libby Nightingale talking about her current project.

At the moment, this project has a number of different facets that surround the central question and I have explored each one a some detail. However, this means that I have gathered a lot of information, that now needs to be presented in a coherent and understandable way.

A couple of weeks ago I was asked to sum up the project to that point, which completely threw me and I was unable to string a coherent sentence together about it. So this presentation gave me the chance to do something about it as I know I have many more to come.

Preparing for it really helped to focus my mind and I was able to split the project down into the following areas: technology; test spaces; pre-visualisation; platform for new ideas; and I talked a little about case studies and my focus group. Most importantly, I was able to present some of my initial findings, which I have included here: (I feel I can say with some certainty that...)

  • It is a useful tool for curating and pre-visualising the size and scale of artworks.
  • It encourages students to think carefully about who their audience is.
  • It challenges preconceived ideas about what a gallery is.
  • It highlights the importance of gallery architecture.
  • It has given students involved in the project more confidence in their work.
  • It will give the college a foundation on which to base its implementation of VR resources in the creative arts.


The evening also allowed me to demonstrate and showcase my VR galleries and the ones I developed with students. I didn't realise I had produced so many and how diverse they were. Off the back of that, I have made some initial plans for a couple of possible collaborations; one as a way of presenting/showcasing an MA photography project and the other as an immersive art work.

If you are reading this blog and feel you can add something to my research then please comment… even if you are correcting me or don’t agree with something that I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment