Monday 28 February 2022

Music... in an online gallery?

I have always avoided virtual galleries that come with a sound track, and I have certainly never thought of adding one to my own! I didn't think it was appropriate. However, I was approached by a degree music student from UCLAN and asked if I would consider one and if they could make one for me. Yes, why not, I thought I should give it a go, and less than two weeks later received the audio file that I have attached to the gallery below. Have a listen...


Here are some rambling thoughts on it so far (there is going to be a guitar track added to it later). In no particular order (or indeed, sense) -
  • It’s quite dramatic but has a nice, tapered start which softens it... so it gives one time to turn the volume down or hit the mute button if needed, which is not a bad thing… some sound tracks to exhibitions are too ‘perky’ and ‘jazzy’. 
  • It does not feel repetitive for the time one may spend in the gallery, which on average is less than 5 mins.
  • It feels bespoke, like it has been made (or very carefully chosen) for the exhibition, which of course if has!
  • I feel the interaction between music and the photographs changes nicely with each piece. I don’t think there are any that are completely unsuited. I like that interaction, as I feel it adds another layer to the artworks. However, the artists may not agree. 
  • I think it works for the exhibition as a whole. Which is no mean feat, as there are dramatically different works on show. 
  • I think the music resembles my ambition when curating mixed artworks... I am always looking for the ‘middle way’, not too light or dark, high or low, happy or sad. Some people ,may not agree, say it’s boring or dull, needs more life, but one always has to remember that in an art exhibition, the work is the most important thing. 
Whilst it is an interesting addition to the exhibition, I am still not sure if it should be there. However, the visitor can always mute it.

If you are reading this blog and feel you can add something to my research then please comment… even if you are correcting me or don’t agree with something that I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment