Friday 12 October 2018

IKONO SPACE

One thing that has bothered me since the start of this project, is one of usability. How can students easily and actively use VR software and hardware to pre-visualise their work in a gallery space.

I have been using Unreal Engine to create my initial virtual gallery test spaces and it has taken me quite a long time to learn how to use it at its most basic level. However, I am not sure that all (if any) fine art or photography students will want, or have time, to learn how to use this software and this could be a mayor stumbling block in implementing this technology.

It seems that I am not the only one to have thought about this and I recently came across IKONO SPACE. They are a company that is creating a piece of software specifically to design and curate virtual reality galleries. They allow you to download a beta version of the software and I recently had a play with it. And, I am fairly impressed with its usability, which uses a similar interface to The Sims video game. However, the beta version does not allow you to experience the spaces with a VR headset, so I cannot comment on the immersiveness of the gallery spaces at the moment.

IKONO SPACE were interviewed by VR Focus website which gives a fairly good description of the software and future ambition of the company...



https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/03/create-and-curate-your-own-virtual-art-exhibition-with-ikonospace/

http://ikonospace.com/

Screen grabs of the user interface and gallery spaces...






User interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment