Friday 7 May 2021

Minecraft Art Gallery

One of my students, James Hanks has created a virtual gallery for his photography work in Minecraft. He talks about the gallery in this video -


There are a couple of things I like about this project. James's exploration of scale and alternative viewing points, above and below is really interesting as he is clearly questioning tradition. He also experiments with different viewing experiences between a 'traditional gallery' and an external exhibition. Again, questioning the norm. He offers partial control of the experience to the visitor, by giving them a choice between artificial and natural light (sim notwithstanding). The final thing, that I really like, is how an unexpected change in the weather completely changed the experience and context of the artworks!

I would be interested to see how James manages to market this exhibition and idea (he talks briefly about it in the video).

If you are reading this blog and feel you can add something to my research then please comment… even if you are correcting me or don’t agree with something that I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment